Christine Lagarde says Trump is hurting global economic stability
Christine Lagarde, former head of the International Monetary Fund, says President Donald Trump is responsible for many of the risks facing the global economy, and warns that the rise of nationalism is not the answer to economic fears.
In an interview aired Sunday night on CBS's "60 Minutes," Lagarde - who was confirmed last week as the next president of the European Central Bank - said Trump's unpredictability has forced investors to stop taking risks and that the U.S.-China trade war is "going to give a big haircut to the global economy."
"If you shave off, you know, almost a percentage point of growth that means less investment, less jobs, more unemployment, reduced growth. So of course it has an impact," she told CBS News's John Dickerson. Lagarde urged policymakers to "please sit down like big men" and make a deal.
Lagarde said that if Brexit finally goes through, the ripple effects will touch not just Britain and the EU, but the U.S. as well, because of the connected global economy.
That same interconnectedness makes nationalism - a concept that Trump has touted - self-defeating, she said.
"What can walls do about pandemics?" she asked. "What can walls do about terrorism? What can walls do about climate change and destruction of the environment? This is not the answer to the global questions and issues that interconnect, whether we like it or not."
Lagarde added that for the economy of the future to thrive, women must have a central role. Women assess risk better, she said, and more women should be in executive roles.
"Poverty is sexist and we have to remember that and make sure that women are not forgotten," she said.
More News in France
Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez combined brilliantly as Inter Milan survived a late Sassuolo recovery to win 4-3 at Mapei Stadium on Sunday. Defeat to Juventus before the international break shunted Antonio Conte's men down to
Ross Moriarty's late try kept Wales' World Cup dreams alive as they beat 14-man France 20-19 in Oita. France struck with three first-half tries - through Sebastien Vahaamahina, Charles Ollivon and Virimi Vakatawa
Sebastien Vahaamahina was sent off after 49 minutes of the World Cup quarter-final between France and Wales on Sunday. The second row was shown a red card by referee Jaco Peyper for a blatant elbow on
Sebastien Vahaamahina thrust France's entire Rugby World Cup campaign into jeopardy when he was sent off in their quarter-final clash with Wales. His red card came with Wales trailing 19-10 but a man down, France saw
France's Sébastien Vahaamahina was sent off 10 minutes into the second half of their Rugby World Cup quarterfinal against Wales, reducing them to 14 men for the final half hour. He was caught elbowing Welsh
Josh Navidi has been the best-performing ball-carrier for Wales at the Rugby World Cup but his tournament looks to be over after he was taken off against France. Navidi made his debut for Wales six years